Re: Code min. Design requirements

Lynn-
Now we're getting somewhere.
1.  If you were to actually inspect your 1976 house you'd find 1/2"
GWB,unblocked, and nailed at 7" o.c.

2.  According to your logic the owners should/would have no legal recourse
but to wait until a big earthquake wrecked their home.

3.  You'd be well satisfied with your design if the home was totally
distroyed, as long as no one got killed.

Have you made any calculations regarding the cost savings your clients will
see for a non code compliant design?

The fact is, we are abysmally ignorant about wood frame loads, load
distributions, capacities, testing and analytical methods, and performance
under a design event.  If you are really curious about where the state of
the art is headed, I suggest you get a copy of  CUREe #W- 01.

In a few more years we may have enough test information to do real
engineering on these structures.  In the meantime I'm going to be
conservative in my design work (follow the 97 code) and inspect the heck out
of anything I've signed off on ( on a time and materials basis).

Chuck