From: Bob Hanson [mailto:hansonb(--nospam--at)hilberteng.com]
Sent: Monday, August 02, 1999 1:23 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Guyed Tower

I am not an expert but using a computer program to model a guy has not been
satisfactory unless the program is a high end performer.  I have found that
use of Roark and other hand analysis techniques to be accurate for simple
systems and was able to verify the loads and sags in the field with
instruments. I have used pins at both ends of the cable.  I believe the
statics and not the "computer" when it comes to cables.  The problem imho
is that most software member models will not allow the user to create a
pure cable and looks for a non zero number to place in its stiffness matrix
where a cable needs a zero placed. (flexure)  imho
Bob Hanson, SE