Re: Guyed Tower

>Yes, but it is standard practice to pre-tension the cables which would
>result in a larger "virtual" catenary.
Doesn't matter. Increase the tension and the cable just forms a shallower
catenary. Looking back over that last post of mine, I really didn't state
it very well. What I was trying (ineffectively) to say was that I think
you can actually do a linear analysis of the structure under external
a catenary with the sag corresponding to the tension you expect. It will
take some fiddling to get the guys modelled fine enough to reproduce the
catenary accurately and you'll need to connect the guys to the tower
carefully to force the connection to carry load only tangentially to the
guy, but I think the results will have meaning. You just have to include
the proper statical behavior. As I think about it, you might be able to
vary the tension in the guy by imposing a phony temperature change which
would 'tighten' the connection by thermal contraction. Should be fun to
experiment with.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw