Re: Guyed Tower

I have been continuing to follow this thread with interest. The tower
analysis software programs which are currently on the market, and have been
for many years, explicitly take account of the non-linearity of the guy
cables, which must include pretensions. It is impractical, although
feasible, to use one of the higher end FEA packages to allow for the large
deformation effects on both stiffness and loads. It is also costly to
attempt to model wind loads on the tower element by element or to attempt to
distribute the code pressures over each element. This is automated in tower
software programs, as is often the antenna loads (inclusive of
eccentricities). There are also in-house programs used by many companies.
Non-linearity must be taken account of. I do not recommend trying to use
hand methods for analysis. As part of my experience I have designed,
checked, climbed, repaired and strengthened hundreds of towers.

James Cohen
Founder and Past Chair, Committee on Telecommunication Facilities, ASCE
Member EIA/TIA T14.7
Website: http://expertpages.com/~jccpc