Re: SEAOC Seismic Design Manual Seminar - Vol. 1

In a message dated 8/3/99 9:38:49 AM EST, Bill(--nospam--at)AllenDesigns.com writes:

<< There is a repeat of the June 12th seminar on August 7th.

 For those of you who attended the June 12th seminar, I ask, is this event
 worth getting up and going into LA at 7:30 am on a precious Saturday
 Morning? Or, is it more like the February SEAOC wood seminar debacle?

 With regards to the manual, is it helpful and worth the money?

 TIA,

 Bill Allen, S.E.
 ALLEN DESIGNS
 Laguna Niguel, CA

It is probably worth your time to go and to spend the money for the book.  I
would assume the building departments are going to use Vol 1 in the process
of determining Plan Check Corrections and at least you want to understand how
they came up with their reasoning.  The manual is worth the money, since I
don't know where else you are going to get an explanation for how to
implement the requirements of Chapter 16, and since when can you buy any
engineering handbook for less than $100 these days ( I know that some exist,
but most seem to cost around $100).  It does seem to do a good job explaining
how to do tilt-up wall anchorages, which was recent question on the list
server.

Yes, there was confusion at the seminar back in June, it was the first time
that SEAOC had given the seminar.  Since then, I know it was presented in
Sacramento, and I believe it was also offered in San Diego.  I would assume
things will go smoother this next go around.

Michael Cochran S.E.