RE: Rigid vs Flexible residential diaphragm discussion

Hmmm....

Nothing good on TV tonight, so I thought I would read the 50% working draft of the FEMA document on steel welded moment frames. I got to section 2.7.5 titled "Diaphragms". The second paragraph reads as follows:

"Floor diaphragms should be classified as either flexible, stiff, or rigid in accordance with the
NEHRP Provisions. Most floor slabs with concrete fill over metal deck may be considered to be
rigid diaphragms. Floors or roofs with plywood diaphragms should be considered flexible. The
flexibility of unfilled metal deck, and concrete slab diaphragms with large openings should be
considered in the analytical model
."

Regards,

Bill Allen, S.E.