Re: Rigid vs Flexible residential diaphragm discussion

Bill(--nospam--at)AllenDesigns.com writes:

<< Hmmm....

 Nothing good on TV tonight, so I thought I would read the 50% working draft
 of the FEMA document on steel welded moment frames. I got to section 2.7.5
 titled "Diaphragms". The second paragraph reads as follows:

 "Floor diaphragms should be classified as either flexible, stiff, or rigid
 in accordance with the
 NEHRP Provisions. Most floor slabs with concrete fill over metal deck may be
 considered to be
 rigid diaphragms. Floors or roofs with plywood diaphragms should be
 considered flexible. The
 flexibility of unfilled metal deck, and concrete slab diaphragms with large
 openings should be
 considered in the analytical model."

 Regards,

 Bill Allen, S.E.
 ALLEN DESIGNS
 Laguna Niguel, CA

I have been "Hmmm.."ing my self for a long time (ever since this rigid vs.
flexible wood diaphragm issue came to life). I knew I had seen it somewhere
before, but could not put my finger on it. Thanks for pointing it out. Now I
can say Ahhhhh..

Oshin Tosounian, S.E.
Northridge, CA