LRFD vs. ASD Bolt Interaction

I am looking at the interaction equations of ASD for bolt shear and
tension interaction.  The equations in table J3.3 for A325 and A490
bolts give an elliptical interaction line.  I am wondering if I can
apply the same type of modification to these equations as they did for
LRFD.  They simplified the elliptical interaction line with 3 straight
lines giving "minor" deviations.  I would like to do the same to the ASD
equations to be able to graph it easier.  Does anybody have any
experience with this conversion?  I am wondering if I can directly
convert the ASD allowable stresses using the equations given in the
commentary of LRFD?  Does anybody know why they didn't do this in the
first place.  Does it give unreliable results?

Zachary Goswick, EIT
zachg(--nospam--at)angusyoung.com