Re: Rigid vs Flexible residential diaphragm discussion

I have been following this thread with much interest and now I have a
question.

With the flexible diaphragm approach how does the UBC handle the situation
where you may a number of walls relatively close to each other.  E.g. where
you may have a corridor or two that are bounded by walls.  I had two cases
recently (I was doing the concept review) where we had a church with a large
open area and corridors at the perimeters.  Also there were stairs that had
several walls associated with the assembly.  I.e. a whole bunch of walls at
the perimeters and corners.  From a flexibility point of view tributary
areas to those walls results in very low forces while a rigid  diaphragm put
significant load on the walls.  We sidestepped the issue by considering very
close walls as single block entities and sharing the resultant in proportion
to the wall lengths.

How would you do it?

Thor Tandy