RE: LRFD vs. ASD Bolt Interaction

The elliptical interaction curve and three-straight-line approximation of
same are equally valid approaches to the design of bolts for combined shear
and tension. The advantage of the elliptical equation is it is a continuous
fuction (good for programming). The advantage of the three-straight-line
approach is you don't have to drop the bolt shear strength when you have a
very small tension (and vice versa). In the end, the joint design will be
very similar with either approach.

If you want to know the basics of these approaches (or want to derive a
three-straight-line approximation for yourself as you said), the
development and basis for these is given in a paper I wrote with Ray Tide
and Joe Yura. You can find it in the Third Quarter 1997 AISC Engineering
Journal. It is titled "A Summary of Changes and Derivation of LRFD Bolt
Design Provisions".

Charlie