Re: Rigid vs Flexible residential diaphragm discussion

Mark, there is no doubt that i support all of the list subscribers who agree
with your comments. Unfortunately, nothing will be done within SEA to insill
change without following the ago old steps create for committee work. I know
that seismology is aware of our discontent as I received numerous calls from
members of the wood and seismology committee asking me to submit my comments.
I can't guarantee that Seismology or wood sub-committee will agree with us
and that we will win this debate, BUT THE ONLY CHANNEL WE HAVE AT THIS TIME
IS TO SUBMIT OUR COMMENTS DIRECTLY TO THE SEISMOLOGY COMMITTEE.

The biggest mistake that our list subscribers are making is the assumtions
that:
1. They can not change the policies which are created by politics within
SEAOC.
2. That the debate that is now occuring has no affect upon members outside
seismic regions. This is the greatest underestimation of the ability of the
professional community because what we are trying to accomplic in seismic
zones will set a precedence for addressing changes to the code making process
for all other areas of concern as they apply to every engineering around the
world in time. Therefore, the prinicples of the issues are at stake since
they will have a consequence to how the process develops in the future.
3. That if others have stated the positions, the individule might not
contribute since the postion is already been stated. The wood and seismology
committee (and board of directors) will not be likely to act upon the
passionate arguments of a few if they do not believe that the concerns are
universal. Therefore, it is very important to voice your support to the
seismology committee for what you personally believe. This is the only way
for them to gauge the importance of the argument.
4. There is no way to be heard. This is another opinon that allows apathy to
reign. The fact is that members of these committees monitor our list. I
personally believe that have a greater responsibility to come out of the
shadows (from those who are not computer literate by representatives of the
committees who can summarize the reasons for their support of the intentions
of the code) and help those of us who are speculating as to the intention of
the committee to understand their true motivation. Instead, we are forced to
at times yield to our frustration which makes the committees believe that we
only attacking them without constructive suggestions for resolving the
situation that is more in keeping with the step in which they are used to
making changes.

To raise awareness on this list is not enough until some time in the future
when the lines of communication run in both directions and we are given
access to all the information that committees consider in their
determination. Until then, we must do more than voice our concerns here, we
must foreward our concerns to the seismology listservice (or any other
appropriate list) so that when they meet they will be forced to consider the
growing number of the professions with concerns.

SEND YOU COMMENTS (SUPPORT OR OPPOSITION) WITH CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM THAT
ADDRESSES SPECIFIC ISSUES TO THE SEISMOLOGY COMMITTEE LISTSERVICE AT
seismo-all(--nospam--at)seaint.org OR TO ALL OF THE CHAIRS OF COMMITTEES UNDER ONE ADDRESS
AT seaocchair(--nospam--at)seaint.org.
tHIS IS A MUST FOR US TO BECOME ACTIVE PLAYERS IN THE WORKINGS OF SEA.

In a message dated 8/4/99 11:34:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time,