Wind

Marlou,

You probably have seen enough of my posts to know that absent any other
requirements (and sometimes even if there *are* other requirements), I like
to think in analogies.

In the case of a house at the top of a cliff or bluff, I ask myself, "What is
the difference between this setting and a penthouse on the top of a high rise
building?"  Since I can see no difference, I will use the elevation of the
house as measured from the ground (or sea level if the house has a sea
exposure) to determine the wind pressures that the house would be exposed to.

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Marlou Rodriguez wrote:

>>Can anyone inform me of any literature on structures at the edge of cliffs
or at the top of a hill exposed to wind.

is there any special considerations that I should look out for.<<