Re: SW's w/ steel light gauge construction

Hi,
I am curious as to how you can get your shearwalls to work by the time you
get to the first level considering the limitations of shear on steel stud
panels (based on failure of the stud rather than failure of the plywood or
connection?

However, I would think that the contractor should be playing around with his
stucco mix and the methods of attachment so as to minimize cracking of the
brown coat. Cracking is normal - especially if you live in an area like mine
where the heat can reach 130 degrees in late summer. I found that the longer
the Brown coat is allowed to set the less chance there is that the finished
coat will transfer cracks.
The other option is to use one of the new coatings that mixes fiberglass
fibers (kind of like Fibermesh) but which has a smooth finish.
The last option is an elastomeric finish on the stucco which, when applied
correctly, will be very difficult to tell from a colored finished coat and
stretches over the browncoat cracks to protect the exterior.

I don't see the benifits of sheathing the interior (no benifit in shear). I
would think that green wood drying would have more detrimental affects on
stucco than metal studs which should stay true.

I wouldn't suggest denigating the contractors experience especially if he is
very familiar with steel stud framing but you might check with the stucco
companies to see what there experience has been.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific, but I have not seen a four story steel
stud building and questioned their ability to go more than three floors
considering opening and accumulated shears.

Dennis Wish PE