Re: Rigid vs Flexible residential diaphragm discussion

In a message dated 8/5/99 8:50:43 AM, Seaintonln(--nospam--at)aol.com writes:
>The wood and seismology
>committee (and board of directors) will not be likely to act upon the
>passionate arguments of a few if they do not believe that the concerns
>are universal.

Why does this have to be a popularity contest?  Isn't it enough for just one
person to stand up and make a cogent argument that "The King has no
clothes!"?  So far I have heard many people state that they do not know of a
reasonable way to analyze a building with a supposedly rigid but unblocked
plywood diaphragm--and NO ONE saying they know how to do it.  Using a
stab-in-the-dark method such as 2.5 times blocked diaphragm deflection
offends this engineer who has always believed that our work should strive for
at least 5% accuracy.

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA