Re: seaint Digest for 31 Jul 1999

Mark & Dennis,

I just came across the following message and have an additional question/ comment to
add.

I have also always been under the impression that the effect of torsional shears (even
regardless of the many ways they appear to be calculated) could not reduce the overall
shear force for a particular wall.  Mark,  this is something you stated at the end of
you attached example.

In reviewing Volume 1 page 78 of the Seismic Design Manual recently published by
SEAOC, it is stated that torsional shears can be subtracted if they are due to the
reduced eccentricity (e-e accidental).  Does anyone have any insight to this issue as
it does appear to go against the intent of section 1603.3.3 of the 1994 UBC and what I
also presume to be the implied intent of section 1605.2.1?

Colin Blaney P.E.
Redwood City, Ca