Re: Rigid vs Flexible residential diaphragm discussion

Seaintonln(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> Ralph,
> Sometimes it's considered appropriate to leave a bug in a piece of software
> as long as it does not affect more than a few people. Bean counters are noted
> for this type of decision when trying to resolve recall issues. It's possible
> that Seismology does not see the problems as affecting a large number of
> professionals and this is where the numbers are important.
>
> Dennis
>
> In a message dated 8/6/99 12:09:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com writes:
>
> << Why does this have to be a popularity contest?  Isn't it enough for just
>  one person to stand up and make a cogent argument that "The King has no
>  clothes!"?

** "THE EMPEROR'S NEW CODES" need more looking into!  We need to unravel their mystery.

** "There are no great men anymore, my son; only Great Committees!"
**  (from a cartoon on the wall of the USGS, Menlo Park, CA.)

** It would be really helpful to see how the different evolutions of Codes have
** changed the design parameters for some benchmark wood buildings over the years;
** and gain some greater understanding of the concepts and fundamentals behind the
** numbers.

** In the aftermath of a code process that gave us the fractured welded moment frame
** problem (for the supposedly most earthquake resistant structure known to man),
** and now the Rigid vs. Flexible residential diaphragm dilemma, I'm a little uneasy
** about the so-called "Performance-Based Codes" looming on the horizon. (The
** Emperor's Newest Codes!)

So far I have heard many people state that they do not know of a