SEAINT Listservice - So what have we accomplished???

If you think I am going to preach the usual activist babble about the virtual
community's potential to institute real change in our profession you are
wrong. As of a few days ago, I am very pleased to announce that we have
gained considerable ground. The discussions and opinions posted on the List
have resulted in serious serious contemplation of the problems facing wood
structures by the Seismology committee and board members. However, our first
major breakthrough occured on August 3, 1999, as John Shipp, SE, President of
SEAOC, distributed the following email to the Chairs of each of the SEAOC
State committees:

"To: seaocchair(--nospam--at)seaint.org (structural engineers assn/chairs)
Subject: Interaction with SEAOC Committees

The topic of how to involve the listserver community into the active
participation of the various SEAOC committees has become a topic of
significant interest/importance.

By this email, I am asking the chairs of the various SEAOC committees to
review their current operating procedures and post and implement ideas to
allow participation of the "virtual community" who cannot participate in
person.  How can SEAOC promote a free exchange of up-to-date information and
utilize those who are passionately involved in speciality areas.

It is far better to include/invite the members of the virtual professional
community into the code development versus to suffer the slings of arrows
and technical barbs delivered by those forced to implement code provisions
that they were not permitted to help develop - recall "no taxation without
representation".

John Shipp"

I hope that each subscriber to this list will join me in congradulating the
State SEAOC president who established a presecedence that, I believe, will
open institute the free exchange of ideas. This is a tremendous
accomplishment that must serve as an example as to how the virtual community
can change the course of our profession.  It also opens the doors to the many
specialized practicioneers of structural engineering, who wish to share their
unique knowledge and understanding of the materials and methods which
committees need to accomplish goals.

I am confident that as the torch is passed in October, the insight that John
has shown will be supported by the new state president - Ron Hamburger, SE.
I believe that this will be so as Ron has been an active participant in this
list and, I am sure, realizes the value of the information and knowledge he
as shared with the Virtual Community.

Once again, I wish to thank John Shipp for taking the next reasonable step
and establishing a precedence which will provide the challenge we need to
establish working guidelines for the future International code making
community in the evolution of the IBC.

I also wish to thank all of the active participants in this list who were
passionate enough about the issues to voice their opinions, seek information,
use the List for peer review and even to bring a level of social value into
our homes and offices.

Sincerely,
Dennis S. Wish PE