Re: Rigid vs Flexible residential diaphragm discussion

In a messaged dated 8/6/99 20:43:58 PDT Dennis Wish (Seaintonln(--nospam--at)aol.com) wrote:

> <snip>
>
> Sometimes the best solutions are the ones we try most to avoid. This is
> understandable, but I would hope that as the Seismology committee realizes
> that there are more unknowns which do not support the objectives of Vision
> 2000, they will see that the only reasonable choice in the short term is to
> repeal the code provisions for those specific types of structures with too
> many known complexities that can not be resolved without further study.
>
> This is only a reasonable solution to allocate more time to better understand
> all of the implications to complex geometric shapes that do not fit into the
> tight interpretations that the code presents.
>
> So, with that said, I think that the "tin men" of our committee's (and women
> where applicable) may be seeking their hearts by responding to the need of
> the professional community and most important the public.
>
> Dennis Wish PE

Dennis,

I think you're on to something!  So to get to the "Code Beyond the Rainbow", where
there is no problem with the "Rigid vs Flexible residential diaphragm" dilemma;
it takes three (3) things:

(1) It takes a BRAIN

(2) It takes HEART, and

(3) It takes COURAGE!

"You can't go the way you came.  It's best to start at the very beginning.
 Then all you do is . . . Just Follow the YELLOW BOOK CODE!" . . .

(not to be confused with the THE BLUE BOOK)

James Bela
Oregon Earthquake Awareness