RE: SEAOC Seismic Design Manual Seminar - Vol. 1

With regards to definitions, I'm not exactly sure if it is clear.

In the definition of "h sub x" it says: "h sub x is the element or component
attachment elevation with respect to grade."

O.K., with regards to wall design, is it "h sub x is the element elevation
with respect to grade" or is it "h sub x is the element attachment elevation
with respect to grade."? If it is the former, then the term varies with
height. If it is the latter, then it does not.

What word(s) does "or" apply?

However, it was made explicity clear in the seminar, regardless of the
wordsmithing, the intent of the author was to average the values and to
apply a uniform load over the height of the wall.

These comments illustrate how a single line in the building code can be
interpreted different ways.

Regards,

Bill Allen, S.E.
ALLEN DESIGNS