Re: SEAOC Seismic Design Manual Seminar - Vol. 1

From: Bill Allen <Bill(--nospam--at)AllenDesigns.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: Monday, August 09, 1999 1:22 PM
Subject: RE: SEAOC Seismic Design Manual Seminar - Vol. 1

>With regards to definitions, I'm not exactly sure if it is clear.

If you're not sure then it isn't clear.

>However, it was made explicity clear in the seminar, regardless of the
>wordsmithing, the intent of the author was to average the values and to
>apply a uniform load over the height of the wall.

Then for a multi-story structure do one average over h sub r or story by
story. Since the lateral load is typically described as an inverted triangle
story by story would actually make sense, but averaging over the height non
sense

>These comments illustrate how a single line in the building code can be
>interpreted different ways.

Which is not supposed to happen.

What is the author's background? was his target single stories or general.
And why set up an expression that requires averaging for routine use
anyway????  Who ARE these guys?

And a belated thanks for the report