RE: SEAOC Seismic Design Manual Seminar - Vol. 1

> Then for a multi-story structure do one average over h sub r
> or story by
> story. Since the lateral load is typically described as an
> inverted triangle
> story by story would actually make sense, but averaging over
> the height non
> sense

According to the Design Manual, you average floor to floor. That is, you
have a uniform load from ground to 2nd floor, another (higher) uniform load
from 2nd floor to 3rd floor, etc.

> >These comments illustrate how a single line in the building
> code can be
> >interpreted different ways.
>
> Which is not supposed to happen.

Maybe not, but most of the code writers are volunteers and work for free.
Also, I've personally met several of them and none that I've met are capable
of walking on water.

Thank God we at least have design manuals to see how the authors intend for
the code to be interpreted.

Bill Allen, S.E.
ALLEN DESIGNS
Laguna Niguel, CA