RE: SEAOC Seismic Design Manual Seminar

Bill Allen wrote:

>>In the definition of "h sub x" it says: "h sub x is the element or component
attachment elevation with respect to grade."

O.K., with regards to wall design, is it "h sub x is the element elevation
with respect to grade" or is it "h sub x is the element attachment elevation
with respect to grade."? If it is the former, then the term varies with
height. If it is the latter, then it does not.<<

Dang!

I wish that I paid more attention to diagramming a sentence in high school!
But then, I'm not even sure when they say "element" whether they mean "the
wall as an element" or "a piece of the wall as in 'finite element'."

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona