Re: Rigid vs Flexible residential diaphragm discussion

>The construction of pressure vessles and pipes is, in
>my opinion, much more controled than the work done by contractors on
>buildings in the field.
Point taken. In fact the pressure vessel codes in particular address
fabrication as much as design. Moreover the inspection issues are also
addressed. The fact that there seems to be relatively little control of
building, especially residential construction scares hell out of me. Here
in Minnesota we're seeing structural problems with new homes and not just
cheap construction but new make-believe manor homes selling for 200-500
grand. It's not ultimate failure, but details like joints that separate
over time and leak or ventilation problems leading to trapped moisture or
backdrafting. In fact a SE colleague of mine told me flat out that he
simply wouldn't buy a house that wasn't at least 15 years old.

But inspection is another issue. I still get the message that Code
provisions for basic design are flawed or unacceptable to the SE's whose
practice really depends on them. (Or maybe the other way 'round) It
doesn't seem that the notion of a diaphragm, which isn't anything new,
should be exciting such comment. I really don't understand why this
wasn't worked out in the Committee structure, based on test results or
the principles of basic mechanics, then submitted for peer review. Steel
construction, certainly the ASD provisions, are just that. (And I note
that the ASD column methodology is sound enough to carry into LRFD with
only a 1.4 bugger factor applied to jibe with the LRFD load factor) I
don't do wood frame design, but it's been around for centuries and
follows the same laws of mechanics that we all know and love. It's not as
linear or elastic or even isotropic like steel, but engineers have made
ships and airplanes and bridges out of the stuff. Why the problems
defining diaphragm action in residential construction? It just seems like
someone isn't minding the store.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw