Re: Rigid vs Flexible residential diaphr

Christopher Wright wrote:

>> >The construction of pressure vessles and pipes is, in
>my opinion, much more controled than the work done by contractors on
>buildings in the field.
Point taken. In fact the pressure vessel codes in particular address
fabrication as much as design. Moreover the inspection issues are also
addressed. The fact that there seems to be relatively little control of
building, especially residential construction scares hell out of me. <<

Chris,

I think that the reason that pressure vessel codes, design and fabrication
are much more stringent than building codes is because of the catastrophic
failures that did occur with pressure vessels at one time.

Until such catastrophic failures occur in buildings, I don't think that we
will see much improvement in building construction practices, codes, or
fabrications.

And, when design of pressure vessels is changed by people who say, "We *know*
much more than those old f**ts, and can design these vessels with a smaller
factor of safety, and less inspection and less ... " then I think that you
will see a resurgence of pressure vessel failures.

      F.S.
      ^

      |____  "We know much more..."
      |    |