Re: Rigid vs. flexible

In a message dated 8/10/99 3:57:58 PM Pacific Daylight Time, MWJ(--nospam--at)eqe.com
writes:

<< Yes, the owners and architects are not going to change their demands on
 either configuration or engineering fees until there is no engineer left
 who is
 willing to say , "yes I'll do it your way for the work."

If all architects gave in to the needs of engineers, we would all be living
in dark boxes. In my opinion, we don't need to try and restrict creativity,
but we need to draw deeper from within our own creativity to bring the
architects dreams into reality. This is where the creative side of
engineering comes into play.

There is no study that I know of that show a correlation between fees and
quality of work. Any engineer who tailors the quality of his design package
to the amount of profit he makes on the job is simply irresponsible. If he
restricted himself to less profit in order to work, he has an obligation to
produce the same high standard that is expected of any project submitted for
construction.

The code does not limit creativity - it just creates more challenges. I think
that it is wrong to try and limit creativity. The most sucessful engineer
will be the one who overcomes the constraints and makes the architects dream
a reality.

Dennis Wish PE