Re: Nail Popping

I never saw a nail pop until I bought my first home in 1967 or '68 (in
Michigan).  Conventional drywall construction on wood studs.

My dad, a carpenter, said it was caused by using green or under cured
lumber as wall studs.  His explanation was that the heating in the house
dried out the outer layers of the stud, while the interior was still moist
and gripped the point of the nail.  The wood surface simply migrated away
from the head of the nail, and the drywall followed.  This *would* give
some explanation for nails popping near the ceilings first (in heated
homes).

So far, I haven't heard a better reason, but I have seen some more nail
pops.

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561