Re: Nail Popping

I agree that the popping of nails in studs and drywall is related to
changes in moisture as the house drys out, but in cold regions, there is
another type of nail popping also. It happens on roofs of newer homes
when it reaches 25 to 30 below. This creates a loud bang when it happens
(usually at night when you are trying to sleep). I believe this is also
related to the higher moisture level in the sheathing. When it gets cold
enough to cause freezing of that moisture, it can cause the nail head to
pop.

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay, Wi.