RE: Employers Rights to your Spreadsheets

To me, this is a minor issue.

I have developed some design aids of my own over the years, which I used
(and most, eventually discarded as I came up with better solutions) and
which I'm sure others have taken and used.

Unless you are into "commercial potential" for these kinds of things (i.e.
you want to SELL them rather than just use them) there is nothing preventing
you from keeping copies of your stuff you've developed and using them at the
next venue, etc.

I have found that even employers with rather strict computer software use
policies, like mine, find it hard to police everything (and most of the
rules are "catch alls" designed to make management feel better, anyway. Sort
of like the "illegal aliens" laws).