Re: parking sttructure live load

It seems that these loads (2000 lb point load; 50 psf distributed
with some reduction allowed) have traditionally worked well in U.S.
design.  I thought now would be a good time to raise a point that
will affect garage designs fairly soon.

The 2000 IBC will say, "The live loads shall not be reduced in
passenger car garages except the live loads for members supporting two
or more floors are permitted to be reduced by a maximum of 20% but the
live load shall not be less than L as calculated above."

"L calculated above" is using the normal tributary area live load
reduction.

This is a significant departure from practice under the UBC which
allowed live load reduction by up to 40%.  In particular, we won't be
able to reduce live loads for beam design at all (design for 50 psf,
not 30 psf) and the allowed reduction for columns and transfer girders
is smaller (20% not 40%).

This change is to be consistent with ASCE 7, which has traditionally
not allowed LL reduction in parking garages.  Not everyone on ASCE 7
believes that LL reduction is inappropriate for parking garages.
However, it will take years to change ASCE 7 and noone challenged
this provision in the IBC process.  It looks like garage design in
the U.S. will change (at least for a few years).

-Mike