Re: Employers Rights to your Spreadsheets

Here is my 37 cents on this issue.   First...if you are going it write
software on company time....DO NOT BE AN ENGINEER FIRST....BE A
BUSINESSMAN..if you have a GREAT software idea that the company will benefit
from tremendously....market your idea..do not program it for peanuts...

I wrote a program once....I  concieved the idea on my time....had to persuade
people to let me do it....did it...they netted  $250,000...the first year of
the program,......I got $00.00
I spent 80 hours of their time....but had to argue to get the time....my pay
was EXACTLY what it should have been.....NOTHING...I failed to ask for
anything...so..I got what I asked for...

There are many factors in determining proprietary rights...but as GOOD
engineers and POOR business people..we fail to address them...a Business
Major..with our  technical abilities would kick out monetary butts...

Not that this is a hot issue with me...but I went on to concieve/write  other
programs with B/C ratios of 30 or 60.....my total income from this in excess
of my base salary would not buy me a stale bag of potato chips....My direct
boss tried to get me extra income...and he was a good boss...but he did not
have the clout...I am older now...and Damn sure wiser

Ron Martin
Yes...I will program for Food