Re: Mathcad and or Excel

> From: "Bill Polhemus" <polhemus(--nospam--at)insync.net> To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

> Although the "promise" of OLE (later ActiveX) has never lived up to all
> the hype, it has gotten incrementally better until you can begin to use
> two such products together.
>
> Since the great majority of the IT world slavishly devotes itself to
> hanging on MS' every utterance, OpenDOC was soon doomed.

Take heart in the fact that OpenDOC is only shelved. It is a technology
that will come around again, when the internet is not THE commercial
growth area and the software companies need the next "new" technology.

Have you tried the Publish/Subscribe functions available in the Mac
versions of Word/Excel (and others)? It permits dynamic linking with
limitations. I use it to pull together report sections (text, tables,
graphics) into one document. It's like OpenDOC Jr., almost.

> From: Christopher Wright <chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com>

> I already have that and more. (And it would mean violating my
> sacred oath to dance naked down the Nicollet Mall in January before ever
> again using MathCad. That mighty oath followed a patronizing lecture

Should it ever be necessary, please give us some advance warning. :)

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project