RE: Redundancy Factor

Chuck-

At the seminar last week in Alhambra, CA, the author of this particular
piece of code, Dick Phillips, clarified this issue. He said the intent of
the 10/lw was to "help" long shear walls but not to penalize short ones. So,
if you had 3-8' shear walls N=3. If you had one 30' shear wall, N=3. Sooo,
how to apply this "10/lw" in accordance with the author's intent is still
unclear but not nearly as conservative has you have interpreted it.

I believe a clarification is due to come out either as a result of the
Seismology committee meeting (going on as we speak) or as a result of a
request by Dick Phillips upon John Shipp to produce a document clarifying
this issue as well as the application of a low R factor on the whole
structure just because you had some cantilevered columns at the garage
opening.

Stay tuned.

Bill Allen, S.E.
ALLEN DESIGNS