Re: '97 UBC and Proprietary Shearwalls

Thanks for the comments, Chuck. I intend to use only the Hardy frames, but my
concerns are that the deflections are emperically based and I don't believe
that I can simply use a straight line interpolation. I asked about ordering
frames that were of different heights for other projects, but was told that I
would have to guesstimate the deflections by an assumed interpolation since
the various sizes had not been tested.

With that said, if the plate heights are 12' (which they are for this home) I
only have two choices for frames - a 64" and 80" wide frame. The 64" frame is
good for 3710# with deflections (no resisting load) at 0.271" - The uplift is
controled by threaded rods attached to the vertical cold formed steel tubes
rather than conventional holddowns. The 80" frame is good for 4170# (all
allowable stress values) with a calculated deflection of 0.205".  I did not
intend to vary stiffness in any one line of the shear as the manufacturer
does not recommend this. Therefore, the stiffness per panel is almost
consistent throughout the structure. The actual shears will determine how
much of this capacity is used and, of course, this will create a different
picture of stiffness relative between lines of shear.

With so much to learn about plywood shearwalls that will not be known until
CUREe and other tests (Including those to be done at UC Irvine - Bob) I feel
more comfortable with a welded brace frame throughout the home which already
has been tested.

Regards,
dennis