Re: Lateral Brace Deflection

There is a short cut to determining the final deflection, given the
initial.  In a vertical column, where the deflection diagram is similar
to moment diagram,  define D(f) as the final deflection, D(i) as the
initial deflection, M(l) as the lateral moment and P as the column load.

Given the initial deflection the final deflection will be:

D(f) = D(i)/(1 - D(i)P/M(l))

I have used this equation to check my geometric non-linear frame program
for the analysis of an arch, and it is explained on my web site:

http://home.inet-access.con/mketchum

Go to the ?Analysis Examples? link at the bottom of the first page and
then to the arch example.. If you ned help, send me an email.

Milo Ketcuum

Milo Ketchum
mailto:mketchum(--nospam--at)inet-access.com
http://home.inet-access.com/mketchum