Re: dll,exe, ini,etc

In a message dated 8/15/99 7:19:06 PM Pacific Daylight Time, strusup(--nospam--at)gte.net
writes:

<<      Although I know what dll, exe, ini, etc mean, does anyone know where
to find a descriptive list of the 10,000 other file types?

 Also, some files you use the "open with" and if you don't know what is
compatible, then you really fix yourself when you use the wrong one.  A
description of compatability would be appreciated.

 Thanks,
 Greg >>

Greg, this is not so easy to determine. DLL files are Dynamic Link files and
often times the same file is modified by various software developers and end
up replacing later versions that originated in Windows. This can cause
conflicts. I find that in most cases if I can trace the DLL files, I can
locate the source of a conflict.
Windows 98 allows you to do this easier as it tracks the DLL files and other
system files that it installs. You can run the program System Information
under the system folder in your Accessories Folder (Start Menu , Programs,
Accessories, System, System Information).
This does not tell you what programs installed the DLL files but will tell
you if it is older than the one that Windows installed and give you the
opportunity to reinstall the later DLL to avoid conflicts.
If you choose Properties on any file, you can sometimes tell what program
authored the changes. More times than not, the information is updated
properly by the software vendor - sloppy work.

I ran across a program called - DLLA111.ZIP which is suppose to track all DLL
files during installation and allow you to annotate them with information to
help later identify them.

As per other file types.

Most files are not data files and can not be associated with a program or
launched outside the program. If the software is installed properly, it
should register all file types in the System Registry - which you can review
with MicroSofts Regedit. Be very careful as any change you make can adversly
affect your ability to use Windows and may force you to reinstall Windows.
I work with my registry and am pretty sure of all changes I make. If I am
unsure, then I export the registry key before making changes to it so I can
re-register the key and simply correct my error. Windows 98 also makes up to
six backups of your Registry. However, I recently found a program that I
simply can not live without. See my separate post on WildFile's "Go Back" for
more information.

Lastly, each time you use a program, note the extension on the files which
represent the output of your data. You can manually register the data type to
the program you use by holding down the shift key and right clicking on the
data file. Choose "Open Width" and use the browser to locate the program that
you created the software with. Make sure you check the box on the dialog box
that indicates a permanent link to the file type or else it won't register.

A good book on Windows will explain the different file types such as VXD
(video drivers), OCX and other file types. Look through the Win.ini and
system.ini files which will give you more informaiton on drivers and their
extensions.

Hope this helps.
Dennis