Determining Rho with a mixed system

I received a call from a local engineer who was struggling with trying to
determin the redundancy factor on a residence he designed that used
cantilevered columns in portions of the home, but relied upon conventional
shearwalls in the majority of the residence.
My thought was to disregard the columns and determine Rho from the formulas
given choosing the highest load plywood shearwall calculated from the
analysis.

Can anyone offer an explanation as to the intent of the code when using a
mixed system?

Thanks
Dennis Wish PE