Re: Wood: Are you as confused as I?????

In a message dated 8/16/99 7:56:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Seaintonln(--nospam--at)aol.com writes:

<< I've left a number of posts asking for advice on attacking a "U" shaped
wood
 frame structure by the provisions of the '97 UBC. I did not receive any
 answers to my questions which leads me to believe that:
 1. Most of you are as confused as I am,
 2. You're holding back comments to see until you see if the opinions of
 others matches yours.
 3. You are tired of my posts (a likely possiblity) and already have me on
 your trash list.>>

One more reason:
 4. You know the answers, but do not want to give them away for free

 <<So, here is my question for the day:

 How many 'small' offices (less than 5 employees) have submitted projects
 since the first of July using the new code provisions? What type of plan
 check corrections, if any, are you receiving and what are the plan check
 technicians asking for?
 How many of you have had one-on-one plan reviews and did you have to debate
 issues with the plan checker? If so, what was the most confusing issues that
 you could not seem to agree upon?

 I'm curious since I received calls from three of the six or eight engineers
 in my area and so far not one of them is totally clear on how to resolve
code
 issues.

 Dennis Wish PE >>

I would assume plan checkers are just as confused. So, do not expect too many
high caliber corrections, just your basic new code compliance stuff. The only
way
you would know about mistakes you have done in interpreting the new code is
as you
grow older you become wiser. That is, as you design more and more and read
into the
code you discover all the things that should have been done differently.
Also, remember
that not all plan checkers are the same. As you submit more plans, you get to
deal with
different plan checkers who may know something you didn't know before, or who
didn't
know something that you knew before. Finally, when we all learned the new
code more
or less and are comfortable interpreting its provisions, there comes the
newer code.

I hope this comforts you, as we are in the same boat.

Oshin Tosounian, S.E.