RE: parking structure live load

Paul:

Perhaps you use the National Building Code of Canada in your work.
The NBCC does indicate that the larger of the design snow and live
loads applies.  This is probably appropriate in most areas of Canada.
Unfortunately, (to my knowledge) no U.S. code indicates the
appropriate combination of these two conditions for parking
structures.

I have been priviledged to live in two locations where the either/or
approach doesn't really work; in both Denver, Colorado and Seattle,
Washington the design snow loading condition occurs due to a single
storm (or perhaps two storms within a week of each other).  There are
numerous other locations in the U.S. where the design condition does
not result from long accumulation.  These single-storm loads can be
as large as 40 psf.  If you also consider roof-level parking that is
generally full day and night (for instance, at an airport), it is
likely that the structure will experience the reduced live load and
some snow load.  Because of these conditions, I've seen Denver
parking structures that required 30 psf snow PLUS 30 psf live load
(50 psf with 40% reduction).  In the Seattle metro area, many garages
are design for 55 psf on the roof although some jurisdictions will
allow design for an unreduced 50 psf; the either/or approach would
result in design for 30 psf.  (Since Harold lives and works on the
Colorado front range, this is probably the condition he had in mind.)

The long and short of it is that the appropriate coincident loading
is sensitive to local climatology.  Perhaps that is why the U.S.
codes are silent on the issue.

-Mike