From: Dan Huntington [mailto:huntingtondj(--nospam--at)kjww.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 1999 12:40 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Fastening of Steel Stud Walls to Foundations

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on anchoring bottom tracks of exterior
steel stud walls to the foundation.  The stud walls being the back-up system
to the cladding and either bearing or non-bearing.

I don't believe code requires the use of anchor bolts for this type of
construction.  Our office prefers anchor bolts (either cast-in of
expansion), but contractors are quite vocal about preferring
powder-actuated-fasteners (PAF's).  What are other offices specifying and is
there a code requirement that I'm missing?

Dan.
-------
Daniel J. Huntington
Structural Engineer
KJWW Engineering
623 26th Avenue
Rock Island, IL 61201
PH: (309) 788-0673
Fax: (309) 786-5967
e-mail: huntingtondj(--nospam--at)kjww.com
Web: www.kjww.com