Re: Fastening of Steel Stud Walls to Foundations

In a message dated 8/17/99 9:46:37 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
huntingtondj(--nospam--at)kjww.com writes:

<< Our office prefers anchor bolts (either cast-in of
 expansion), but contractors are quite vocal about preferring
 powder-actuated-fasteners (PAF's).  What are other offices specifying and is
 there a code requirement that I'm missing?

I specify Anchor bolts, but have had to use Simpson MAS anchors (see their
steel catalog) as required by the client. Unless the PAF's can be justified
for capacity, I would not use them in a high seismic zone as I have seen too
many failures in wood plates after northridge that used these for non-bearing
partitions in side residences. I can't imaging that they would have the
capability to resist the dynamic load applied ot a shearwall without shearing
as I saw with interior partitions.

Dennis