From: Paul Meyer [mailto:PMeyer(--nospam--at)HASimons.com]
Sent: Monday, August 16, 1999 7:45 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: parking structure live load

This probably doesn't need repeating to the learned audience here, but you
would use EITHER the snow or the parking load, whichever was greater.  If
you've got almost a metre (2.5 feet) of old snow on a parking deck, you
probably don't have a lot of cars there too.  Fresh snow is much less dense,
and (with few exceptions) the amount that could fall on a parking deck
already full of vehicles will be very small.  In those places where a single
snowstorm could contribute a significant mass of snow, you are going to see
that the snow load controls anyway, since you need to consider the snow load
on a structure that remains unplowed all winter.