Re: Wood: Are you as confused as I?????

I just received a call from Steve Iconda of the City of L.A., Code Section,
regarding my post of 8/16/99 (attached below), which was forwarded to him by
Henry Wong of the City of L.A. (apparently a lurking plan checker). Mr.
Iconda asked me why I was making such a statement. My reply was that I did
not make the statement. I only quoted and questioned what FSRahbar(--nospam--at)aol.com
stated, and whether it was true. After some discussion about the subject of
rigid vs. flexible diaphragms, Mr. Iconda denied such policy adoption by the
City of L.A.

Mr. Wong, in the future, please forward the complete and uncut posts as to
who said what.

Oshin Tosounian, S.E.

My previous post:

<< In a message dated 8/16/99 9:45:46 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
FSRahbar(--nospam--at)aol.com
 writes:

 << I understand that City of Los Angeles has adopted the "Wood Diaphragm =
  Flexible" policy, which is great.  >>

 This is what I have hoped would happen. However, isn't this against the code
 adoption process, where localities must adopt no less stringent code
 provisions? Unless, the rigidity analysis in the UBC, as L.A. sees it, was
 not meant to be applied to wood diaphragm. Otherwise, it would go against
 City of L.A.'s "No rotation or more than 15% cantilever in wood diaphragms"
 policy.

 Oshin Tosounian, S.E. >>