RE: Cold-Formed Joist Lap Splice Question...One more time

Let's change my question slightly.  Suppose we have a two span
condition, using (2) 2" x 12" timber members, each 12' long.  They will
each span 10', and there will be a 4' overlap at the middle, right over
the center support.  Now, the contractor uses a single bolt, right at
mid-depth at each end of the overlap (2 bolts total).  These single
bolts will not develop moment in the connection (the moment is in the
members) but the entire assembly is still stable.  Right?  I would
simply design the two bolts for a shear force (again, no moment in a
single bolt).

I see this all the time in pre-engineered buildings, where the purlins
are lapped over the rigid frames.  The purlins carry moment, but the
structural bolts connecting them together simply take shear.  Does this
principle not apply to light-gage material also?

Thanks again,  Michael Ritter