Re: Redundancy Factor

Thought I would start back as near to the beginning as I could with this thread.
With so many of you that do custom residential homes, how many design strictly
lateral systems with just plywood shear walls?  Not me for the last 6 years.  With
my projects, there may be plywood shear walls with steel frames with masonry
fireplaces all trying to take lateral load, all in zone 3 with "big snow".  How
does the redundancy factor apply?  Rigid diaphragm analysis?  Not a chance, with
differing systems in one project, let alone all the unknowns in one system,
plywood shear walls and all the questions out there with those.  I've even posted
a couple reply's to that can of unknown design worms.

I had an interesting conversation with an "old timer" tonight over a couple of
beers.  He felt the same as me.  The codes have taken engineering out of
structures.  The bottom line is who has the lawyer who looks the best in court.
Who has the most time to and money to read the damn thing.  The code has put our
education and experience in the trash when it comes to seismic design in timber.
A number of threads in the last few months has shown how much in disagreement the
engineering community is with the codes.  It's not "get your ducks in a row", it's
"get your lawyers in a row".

J.R. Grill, PE