Re: Wood: Are you as confused as I?????

In a message dated 8/17/99 7:37:02 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
lhoward(--nospam--at)silcom.com writes:

<< Oshin-
 You are assuming that designing the diaphragm as
 rigid is more stringent than designing the diaphragm
 as flexible.  This isn't necessarily so.  Also, the
 tools we have to calculate the deflection of plywood
 horizontal and vertical diaphragms are flawed when
 applied to anything but the most simple of
 structures.

 Lynn >>

Lynn,
I was only using that statement to make an argument and not necessarily
expressing my views. In other words, IF a wood diaphragm is NOT FLEXIBLE (by
code definition) and we analyze it as flexible, then some shearwalls will see
less load than they would by rigidity analysis, and that's less stringent
(again, by code definition), which is not necessarily my view.

I hope this clarifies my position.

Regards,

Oshin Tosounian, S.E.