Re: SEAOC Blue Book C805.3 Lateral Force Distribution

In a message dated 8/17/99 9:51:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Bill(--nospam--at)AllenDesigns.com writes:

<< Is that an unrealistic goal? >>

Any way I answer is probably going to get me into trouble. You made a
statment that comparing FDA and RDA is appropriate in pure science. I would
only agree if there is sufficient justification for the assumption or if a
researcher starts with this as a theory and proceeds to prove it valid before
publishing the results.
What happened is neither science nor engineering, but politics. The desire to
wrap residential construction into a neat box with all other materials
without regard to the specifics.

Yes, comprimise has been made and this is good. The willingness to channel
information in two directions is good but I remain skeptical. Trying to patch
a bad plan only makes a worse one. I am hoping that the results of all the
studies (CUREe-Caltech and others) will show that it's simply more
ecconomical to start from scratch than to make a bad code worse.
As you pointed out - it's a business.

Dennis