Re: Wood: Are you as confused as I?????

In a message dated 8/17/99 10:38:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
FSRahbar(--nospam--at)aol.com writes:

<< Yes, now I am very confused. Yesterday, I spoke with Mr. Shawn Dang of
City
 of Los Angeles, (213)977-6987. I don't think I heard him wrong. I was told
 that wood diaphragms in City of LA are considered to be flexible.

 We had also talked to another official last week, I don't have his name, and
 we were told the same thing!

 Farzin Rahbar, S.E. >>

Farzin,
As I said in a previous post, it does not matter what the building official
tells you. You have a responsiblity to design no less than that stipulated in
the code otherwise you become liable and the building offical goes free.
This happened here in the desert until I wrote the building official and
quoted him from a book section faxed to me (and later posted on the list)
explaining the responsiblity of the EOR and the building official. The
official can consistently make the wrong interpretation of the code an still
not be liable. The engineer does not have this protection and is the final
authority whose stamp appears on the plans and who takes responsiblity for
compliance to the letter of the code.

Dennis