Re: H/b ratio for Low shear walls

In a message dated 8/17/99 9:54:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Seaintonln(--nospam--at)aol.com writes:

<< Isn't this what caused the problem with the H/b<3.5. Most members designed
 the limits without looking at stiffness. A wall can easily meet the H/b
 restrictions but also far exceed allowable story drift.

 Dennis >>

Dennis,

You probably did not understand what I meant. What I was saying is that if
the h/d limit has been reduced to 2 to limit the excessive deflection of
shear panels why bother with a deflection check? OR, if we limit the
deflection of a shear panel to the allowable story drift, why bother with a
h/d ratio? Obviously, a 3.5/1 ratio shear panel won't meet the drift
limitation when calculated for maximum allowable shear, so it is
automatically discounted as a shear resisting element. Wow, here's another
question to throw at the list members. What if you have a wall panel with a
h/d ratio exceeding 2 along a line of other panels meeting the h/d ratio? Do
you a). sheath it and add its stiffness to the line, or b) you disregard it
and face the consequences of a lawsuit claiming your design of the shear line
did not account for the inherent stiffness of the finish material on that
discounted panel that contributed to absorbing more diaphragm shear along the
same shear line? Pretty neat huh!

Regards,

Oshin Tosounian, S.E.