Re: AISC Database Posting

A question is whether the table is a work of AISC or a work of ASTM or a work
of the steel compan(y)(ies) that began rolling the shape and first put the
dimensions and properties in *their* publications before they became
"standards," from which AISC, ASTM and others consolidated them.

As far as whether or not the database is copyrightable, I would suggest a
visit to the Library of Congress Copyright Office web site and look at their
FAQ's.  I believe that a list of numbers with *no* substantive creative
contribution by anyone is *not* copyrightable.

A number of years ago, because of a dispute, I tried to register a copyright
on a set of structural calculations and they were rejected.  While I think
that structural calculations are "creative" and offered that argument, I did
not pursue a protest.  (I was able to register a copyright on the structural
drawings involved in the dispute.)

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona