Re: Turkey Earthquake - Another Web Site

Thank you for the links. I don't think I had any idea of the magnitude of the
devastation until visiting the site. I hope, as an engineering observer, my
comments in this post don't minimize the sadness I feel for those who
perished. Still, there is much to be learned from this experience on how
buildings perform and I hope we can start discussing possible causes of the
149 buildings that collapsed.

The seismic design commentaries are also available on the site and I think
this would lead to an interesting discussion as we discover the cause of the
failure of the 149 buildings I read on the emergency statistics.
Those that I saw collapsing on the news appeared to be masonry or concrete
highrise structures and it appeared as though the many suffered softstory
collapse.

I would be interested in hearing from those who are studying the damaged
buildings. If anyone has specific knowledge, please advise how many buildings
were Unreinforced Masonry and what percentage of the total collapsed masony
structures this represented.

How many low-rise and wood framed structures were damaged (ie, single family
and multi-family residences). I understand that the epicenter occured in an
industrial area but am interested in the effects in outlying areas as well.

Dennis Wish PE